Thursday, January 6, 2011

Nov. 20 - from The Cathedral of Love newsletter

I have a brother and sister who have been with me since 1985. They were the first family I helped ... with time they were able to donate much of their time. Also, at that time I rescued a five year-old from sexual abuse by her father, and went to court and was able to adopt her. Also, that year I adopted two Spanish boys, and all three now call me dad. They work tirelessly for this ministry. I am so proud of them. All three are married and have one or two kids each to whom I am Grandpa Larry ... I love it.

From the beginning, doors kept opening and the need kept getting bigger and bigger. I know the next two years will be the hardest ever faced here in the desert. Local sources tell us unemployment here is at twenty percent ... foreclosures by the thousands, putting families and seniors on the street.

After 24 years being pastor of 4,000 people, in 1977 I turned it over to those I had taught, including students from our university. I then founded this ministry of no limitation to serve people. Now in 80 countries, over 400 ministries, three orphanages, and two fully-staffed medicial clinics. And truly on the grow worldwide ... I enjoy teaching the "good news" of the Bible. My books are in some seven languages.

My last trip to the world at large was in 1984. I was pasturing in Glendale, CA. I came back from Germany, Australia, England, and Africa, knowing the hard times were going to come to America. I saw liberalism and the failure of the leaders of the nations to commit to any religion that separates right from wrong. I could have taken a salary of twenty five percent as nearly all ministry leaders do, or even more. Yet, I know if I stayed self employed I could raise of a lot of money for service for others. I sold the printing plant I owned, and two pool routes worked by two ladies (to whom I sold them). I bought into the pool business here, and began to unfold a dream from my childhood, to one day help the abused, the homeless, and the seniors here in this desert community.

I reach out to all religions, groups, and ages of people to help and be helped ... I can ask for others, but it's always difficult to ask for myself. Thanks to God-given business skills and ability, I am able to help thousands here and around the world ...

What a wonderful God-given opportunity to serve people I have been given. Enjoying God-given health to hopefully bring hope that can be seen and felt, and nothing is left out. Spiritually, physically, and materially we meet people at the place of their need. To see the smiles and the hear the laughter of children who are homeless who now know they have a place to live, and the support to make their parent happy once again. This is my pay, and early this morning, I stopped to see that everything was good. 


In God's Love -

Dr. Larry Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment